Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Chosen One

Finally gave up on the Uglies series so I would read again.  I picked up The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams after trying to "sell" it to several 6th period students.  Nobody would take it, so I checked it out myself.

I finished it in three days!  What a book.  It's about a girl who is part of a religious cult that lives on a compound as part of a polygamous community.  She has one dad and several mothers and the family follows Apostles and a big mean Prophet.  She is 14 and learns randomly one evening that the Prophet spoke directly to God and she is to marry her 60-year-old uncle in 4 weeks.  Ewwww.

I love watching Sister Wives on TLC.  I'm just fascinated to see how they all work together to make a lifestyle choice work for their family.  This book is more of the same and follows Kyra's struggle with trying to fit in with her community while having "unwholesome" or sinful thoughts...which are just normal 14 year old emotions.  The author tucks in a real love story in here too.  Nice.

A real page turner, this quick read is captivating and gets you 12 Reading Counts points.  It won't disappoint.

What to read next?  Hmmmmm.  Help!  Need another good book.  Or several.  Thanksgiving is a long road trip.  Gotta stock up!

No comments:

Post a Comment