Sunday, May 6, 2012

Willow gives you hope that true love is real

Just finished the book, Willow by Julia Hoban. I started reading the book a few weeks ago after Laurel had read it.  She loved it.  I read a few chapters and was so mad at the main character, I actually put it down for about a week or so.

Willow, the main character, deals with life after she kills both her parents in a freak car accident.  She turns to cutting as a way out of dealing with reality.  I have a hard time figuring out why someone would do harm to him/herself and the whole thing made me mad when I was reading.  I guess that's why the book is so relevant. It was forcing me to learn and grow.

But I gave the book a chance after she met a guy, ironically name Guy, and he takes interest in her situation.  I mean, he can't leave her once he knows her secret.

The author does a great job and creating chemistry between the two characters and if you've forgotten what it's like to fall in love as a teenager, read this book.  It's one of those rare books that you wish doesn't end and you think about long after.  Willow grows so much during the book and so do you as the reader.

Not only did the book turn out to be a fantastic read, I learned something about cutters AND friendship.  Definitely a YA book and wouldn't recommend this for under 14 year olds.  Even then, parents need to either pre-read or check out www.commonsensemedia.org for details on the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment