Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas haunts me now

I started The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne a few days ago and stayed up until 1 a.m. to finish it last night. Gasping and holding my breath as read the last couple pages, I promptly bawled my eyes out and woke Laurel up because I had to talk to someone right away.

It is quite possibly the saddest book I've read ever. I'm emotionally drained now.  This book needs, craves, has to be paired with Night when I teach it.  Any kid who has read Night and even remotely liked it will LOVE this book.

Boyne tells a fictional WWII story about a young boy named Bruno and his family who is forced to move to a remote part of Nazi Germany because of his dad's important work.  Bruno does not understand anything of the world around him, mainly because he's so naive and is just a good, old-fashioned kid.  It's there that a friendship blossoms in the desolate, awful, hateful world around them.

That's all I'm going to tell you.  Read it.  You won't regret this one.  I also hear the movie is well done.  Read it to your elementary children. Wow. Wow. Wow.  Next on my list is to watch it on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment