Monday, July 25, 2011

Hate List is a great book!

Finished Hate List yesterday on the dock.  I was totally crying.  Although the ending wasn't as good as the whole book...and has one of those open endings that my 8th graders love so much (sarcastic), I still loved the book.

Val really had to go through a lot during the book and grew so much as a person.  I can't imagine how she dealt with all of it without yelling "I didn't shoot anyone" all the time.  And I wasn't a huge fan of either her mom or her dad...or brother really.  What mom never asks if her daughter is guilty?  What mom doesn't step in and help a daughter more?  It was weird.  And her dad.  Yuck!

I thought that they should have put a yearbook picture of Ginny--from before the shooting--in the time capsule.  That would have been very sweet.  Where you thinking that the ending would have been different.  I thought her speech would have been very different at graduation.  I couldn't understand why she kept mentioning the hate list....it was driving me nuts.

Also where did this art teacher fit into everything?  She wasn't related to anyone?  It was really weird.  Not that she liked to draw...but the teacher.  I don't understand why she had to be so eccentric and described in so much detail.

I've started Uglies now and it reminds me so much of The Giver.  The whole location and concept is very much like The Giver's government and ideology.  I like it so far...it's so different.  What a neat concept for a book.  Anyone going into 8th grade should read it before reading The Giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment